Thread: Muzzle loaders

Beginner Reloader
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Default Muzzle loaders

Any One out there into muzzle loading? It would be fun to compare notes and swap stories.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I shoot a double trigger .54cal T/C Renegade with a custom Green Mountain barrel. T/C peep sights. I shoot prb's, MaxiBalls, and both .44 and .45 bullets in sabots. I cast all my own bullets for it. For deer hunting I shoot 230gr soft lead .45cal HP's in T/C sabots over 90grs of Pyrodex R/S. The combination is sub MOA @100yds if I do my part (offhand I can usually keep 5shots in 6"). I really enjoyed shooting it at the club range when everyone was checking their deer rifles preseason and had all they could do to pieplate with their scoped centerfire rifles rested. Invariably there were some really good deals available at the pawn shop the next week.
    If I can see it, I can hit it. Now, where did I put my glasses?

Beginner Reloader
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I generally just shoot a tecoa mountian round ball with 80 grains of tripple f powder behind it. It shoots a 5 inch pattern at 100 yards with a rest. I have a tough time keeping stable offhand. However knowing that in advance I make sure I have a rest available.
    I just purchased a t/c mould and I am getting handles soon. Then I can start making my own ammo. I haven't weighed any of my ammo but I do have a grain scale on the way as well.