Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Smile

For the initial break-in period I'll probably use the factory stuff I already have. It's loaded so mild it's almost like a download anyway.

As for powder I'll probably use the surplus 4895. I have two jugs, unfortunately with different lot numbers since I ordered them separately and several months apart.

I should be able to find a reasonable load for the first 100 or so that will be jacketed. I still haven't decided if this will be a dedicated cast boolit rifle. It will probably depend on how well I can get the Yugo or VZ-24 to shoot.
    Regards,

WE

Beginner Reloader
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I got the 1992 Classic 700 in .220 Swift.Nice rifle.

Beginner Reloader Bullshop Junior's Avatar
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Talk about recoil pads! prrrruuu! The dumest thing I ever saw a good recoil pad on was my remington 788 in 223. some guy put a 1 inch pad on it that sayes BROWNING . No need. all I ever shoot out of it is cast. Acouple jacketed have been run though it, but, NEVER MIND!
    DANIEL/BS JR.
    Command Fire!!! BOOM BOOM BOOM BOBOBOBOOM!!!

Beginner Reloader
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Default 8x57 suggestion

Hey there 8mm shooters. I can`t get downstairs to my loading bench because of a knee replacement. So I can only tell you of my 8mm work. I own 4, 8`s. Two are the k-43 model, a 1918/20 and a new Yugo. I find the Nosler 180 gr. ballistic tip delivers very good accuracy and down range killing power. I developed a load for an old friend in his dad`s WWII souvenir sporterised 98. The load from a Nosler manuel, can`t remember the charge, made beautiful 4-leaf clovers at 100yds. The hits on Mich. whitetail deer are quite literally drops at the shot. Good luck with the 700.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Talking Mausers, I've had good luck with Sierra Pro Hunter 150's in my brother's 1944 Steyr made 98, but my 1916 Oberndorf is now strictly a cast bullets rifle. I always start with 3031 in any medium capacity case and have no complaints. I have used some surp4895 with cast and have had great results. German army acceptance standards for 8mm rifles were 6MOA!!! I have had no problem at all getting 1 MOA groups both with jacketed and cast (Lee's only 8mm mould). What the new Rem 700 will like is anybody's guess, but the cartridge itself is inherently very accurate, maybe not as good as the .308, but every bit as good as the -06. Play with a few different brand bullets in several weights and maybe add 3031 and 4064 to try for powders. I can't see as you will be disappointed.
    If I can see it, I can hit it. Now, where did I put my glasses?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Default Remington 700 "Classic"

I would appreciate thoughts about a Remington 870 Wingmaster LW with a 21 inch barrel. This is a 20 ga. Maybe sometime idea about cost for a used one in good condition and the gun in general.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Thumbs up

If it truly is the 870 "Wingmaster" and not one of the myriad newer, and cheaper in all respects, 870's, and it's in good or better condition, I think it's worth what the 870 Express goes for new.

And changing that 21" barrel for a 26 to 30" barrel with the Rem Choke (I think that's what it's called) choke insert system is as simple as buying a replacement barrel. You will like that 20 gauge, too.
    Regards,

WE