Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Question Remington 700 "Classic"

I'll start this section off with a question about the Remington 700 "Classic" for 2004 that's chambered in the 8 x 57 Mauser. Anyone have any experience with one of these?

I'm just reading the Handloader #238 article and wonder how this rifle has worked for those who have tried it. I have some milsurp rifles in this caliber, but most of them have pretty "casual" bores. I'll probably stick to cast lead for them. But with a new bore and appropriate hand loads, I think this caliber can go good work.

Any opinions about the rifle?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Smile

Don't know about the rifle, but the caliber's an old friend. I've had good results over the years with Sierra 150's in my Mausers. Post some results when you get back from the range please as I'm sure I'm not the only one who's curious.
    If I can see it, I can hit it. Now, where did I put my glasses?

Beginner Reloader
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Default rem.700

Hi,
    The remington 700 is an outstanding rifle I do own 2 of them,and the will shoot right from the box but I do like a trigger adjustment factory could be a little better.
    If you buy one I doubt if you would be sorry.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Smile

I guess I'm just looking for a little moral support. The only Remington rifle I've ever owned is a very nice old 513-T.

Several of my friends own 700's that they've been happy with.
    My Brother even has a 721 in .270 (if he can figure out who borrowed it so he can get it back ).

I guess I'll start looking for a used Classic in 8 x 57.
    Regards,

WE

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Thumbs up

I've never met a Remington product I didn't like, though I've often wished for recoil pads on them and installed more than a few. They have pretty good resale value if you don't like the caliber, but IMHO, it's likely that model will appreciate after a few years due to its rarity. I'd buy it if I didn't have kids to feed.
    Plenty of immoral support available when needed, too.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Smile

I'm sure this one is going to get a recoil pad! If I'm going to shoot full power loads I may as well be somewhat comfortable.

Now to get serious about looking for one. And thanks for the "support" of all types.

Edit to correct errant finger on keyboard.
    Last edited by C1PNR; 12-04-2005 at 03:00 PM.
    Regards,

WE

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Talking Cast Bullet Friendly

I've got some good jacketed loads to start you off if you don't have some already. Don't overlook cast bullets for the 8mm. It is a very "cast friendly" cartridge. The lower pressure cast loads are a lot easier on both action and shoulder, and with experimenting, quite suitable for target and hunting. Check out the Cast Boolits Forum to learn a lot more about it. Lee makes inexpensive melters, molds, and sizers to get you started, but you should be warned: casting is highly addictive and adds a whole new dimension to the fun of shooting and loading.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Smile 8mm Loads

I've got several "To Try" ideas, and the required equipment to cast, and always interested in different ideas.

You could post, PM, or email them if you'd like - and Thank You!
    Regards,

WE

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Cool Loads

Sierra 150gr Spitzer, IMR 3031 42.1gr, Rem or WW cases, CCI 200 primers, OAL 3.25", 2500fps MV

35.4gr of 3031 with most any 150gr bullet is a milder but very accurate target load, too, around 2300fps MV

Neither of these are hot loads by any standards, and all the WWI and II Mausers I've shot them in have liked them. I've had primers flatten in my 1916 Oberndorf above 44gr and they were not as accurate. I'd be interested to see what the Rem 700 likes, as I assume the warmer loads will be digested without a hiccup.

45-47gr of IMR4064 also works quite well.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Thumbs up

Didn't mean to be so long in replying. I did find a NEW one on Gun Broker for less than $500. HAD to buy it!

Real nice looking, and I'd post a picture if my photog skills were some better (I just tried and NO joy ).

Thanks for the load data, which I put into my "To Try" listing. I have some other ideas, mostly for cast, so I guess it's time to get busy.
    Regards,

WE

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Well I don't have a 700 in that caliber, but I did have a old K98 8x57 Mauser years ago and I wish I had never gotten rid of it. My son has K98 now and he loves it.

My 700 is chambered in 30-06 and I love that rifle. I have retired my Remington 742 BDL semi-auto and my Remington 760 BDL pump, both chambered in 30-06 for the 700. The 700 I have has the synthetic stock, and it has a recoil butt pad built in, and it has the parkerized barrel, receiver and bolt.

I have loaded 150 Nosler ballistic tips, using 48 grains of IMR 4064 with R-P brass and CCI primer. I can get a quarter size group at 100 yards. I zero it about an inch high at 100...I have been able to shoot clay pigeons setting on a bank at the range 185 yards and hit destory them.

I have taken two deer in the past two years with my 700 and my reloads. Dropped them where they stood...no running off.
    WVHunter129
    Live to Hunt/Hunt to Live
    Member National Rifle Association (NRA)
    Administrator
    West Virginia Hunting Forum
    http://wvhunting.proboards26.com
    Buckmasters Buck Talk
    http://www.buckmasters.com

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Smile

I think I mentioned earlier that the only Remington rifle I've ever owned, before the Remington 700 "Classic" in 8mm Mauser, is a 513-T in 22 lr. The 513-T is very reminiscent of the rifle I learned on when I was on the JROTC Rifle Team at Boise High School back in the late 50's.

Now in '06 caliber, I've been shooting a M70 Winchester of 1972 vintage since 1972, mostly with 165 grain Speer bullets.

I'm now about out of the loaded ammunition, and completely out of the bullets, powder, and primers from this 1 1/4" loading. Therefore, I'm looking for a good 150 grain loading for deer and the smaller horned animals, as I have other calibers for larger, and smaller, game.

The Remington 8 x 57 Mauser is going to be a challange for me to produce a good shooting jacketed load, especially since it's in a caliber that I mostly shoot in Military Surplus rifles with cast lead for most loads.
    Regards,

WE

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I'd just grab some Sierra 150's, and maybe some 175's if you like them heavier, though the lighter ones are easier on the shoulder, and as mentioned, a can of IMR 3031 and/or 4064. Lee has a 175gr RNGC mould that I've been threatening my Mauser with, but I have an Arisaka in line ahead of it to play with first.

Beginner Reloader
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Default 8x57 loads

I have a Yugo M48 in 8x57, the recipe is 47 grains of IMR 4895 under a Remington 185 Core-Lokt bullet. Winchester or Federal LR primers were used.
    Chronographed results were 2582 fps, I also shot 170 grain Speer bullets with 48 grains of IMR 4895 and they chronied out at 2663 fps. The 185 bullets shot 1 & 1/4 inches at 100 yards.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Thumbs up

Thanks, 303. I put those in my "To Try" listing too. I have some of the surplus IMR 4895 I'll have to try.
    Regards,

WE

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Nice rifle C1PNR, I have always fancied the Remingtons in the Classic range. I have three Remingtons, all made in 1917! Two M17s and a Mosin Nagant. I saw a 3006 Remington BDL 700 the other day and had to leave the shop, I have spent so mush money on guns and associated gear lately it is ridiculous.

I'd get 100 Remington factory Core Lokts and that would get you going and then I'd reload as they are used up.

I hunt with Remington Core Lokts in my 30 cals, great stuff and well up to the task unless you are using a Whampum Warp Speed Magnummm!

Good luck with it. If I saw one, I would gladly make it my main hunting rifle.
    Mick.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Cool

Just checked my inventory and find I have no .323 x 185 CoreLokt bullets. Seeing as how it's Father's Day today, I think I'll just slip out to the "Sportsman's Warehouse" and cure that little problem.

Speaking of Father's Day, I hear some Schools want to do away with any mention, let alone celebration, of this day because "some students have two mommies" and we sure wouldn't want to confuse them, now would we!
    Regards,

WE

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Smile

Just a little update on the 8mm project. I now have a 3 x 9 Burris mounted for these old eyes. Also have a replacement firing pin assembly as recommended in the Handloader article.

My favorite gunsmith did a trigger update, as well. Put in a solid (not hollow back cast) trigger, new (old style) trigger bow, and honed it to a real fine, crisp 3# pull with NO creep.

Only problem now is that I have NO excuses!

Just about time to get the barrel broken in. I think I will go buy some 185 Core Lokt for that process. It'll give me some brass, too.
    Regards,

WE

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Speaking of Father's Day, I hear some Schools want to do away with any mention, let alone celebration, of this day because "some students have two mommies" and we sure wouldn't want to confuse them, now would we!

Ok what about Parents day ? we could call father's day Alpha Parent day & Mothers day could become Nurtcure giveing parent day
    This would be in keeping with Political correctness

The 8x57 (.318 for those who still use imperial measurements .....Political correctness again ) is a great round & I reckon your going to have many pleasant hours working loads up for it .

Dave
    EXPERIANCE ........Is something you gt 5mins after you needed it

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I've always liked the lighter bullets for the flatter trajectory and milder recoil, but it doesn't make any difference what you break it in with, and you can always load the heavy ones down so that your shoulder doesn't take as much abuse. It will be interesting to see what weight(s) the rifle prefers. What powders are you going to start with?