Beginner Reloader
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Default Squirrel Hunting

Whatever happened to parents taking their kids small game hunting? When I was a kid in the 50's, I couldn't wait for my dad to take me hunting. I was given my first gun for my birthday when I turned eleven. It wasn't much, just a new Sears bolt-action 410 single shot, but it was mine. I started squirrel and rabbit hunting with it.

By the time I was 13, I was allowed to hunt alone in the woods below the house. My dad gane me a Winchester Model 52 20 guage automatic for my 14th birthday. I was the MAN! I killed small game and later killed my first deer with that shotgun.

The 410 was traded years ago, it was impossible to reload without looking, and cost me a lot of game. The Winchested is still with me. I sent it of to Poly-Choke years ago, and now it sports a short vent ribbed barrel witha Poly Choke. The shortened barrel wasn't the best ideal I ever had, but it is instant death on quail and rabbits.

Now days, most kids start deer hunting without ever learning how to stalk a squirrel, and they miss the experiance it gives them. All small game skills are usefull in any other hunt.
    Mickey Rat
    NRA Life Member
    Citizen of Alabama

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Mickey I'm with you 100% on this ! When I was a kid we all used to get together on a Friday & Sat night & go Spotlighting for Rabbits & foxes! Our vehicals were Old farm Cars that our parents let us use. Normally a car with the back of the roof cut out so one could hold the spotlight & one could shoot at a time (average age was 12-13) most of us had single shot .22lrs but every Known again somebodies Parents would give them a Repeater (bolt or Pump) as for Shot guns ? they were single barrel .410's but every once in a while someone would turn up with a SMLE converstion to .410 (they were considered Capitialists of the highest order ) on really special occastions we were entrusted with a 12g Double !The Old cars we drove were miricals of engerneering as normaly Brakes ,were a optinial extra but we never did any harm & had the fun of cork it was a simple life style ! When I remarried my stepkids had never been out of the city let alone fired a firearm !
    I had a old Fairlane on the Farm & I gave the kids Driving lesons & shooting leasons next came a single shot .22lr & a single barrel .410 . My Poor wife half argued over this but then had a few shots herself & deemed it t be Ok ! It was when everytime she turned her back something else disappeared off the Car that she paniced ! I say who needs Doors or wind screens ? The kids love going out to get a rabbit or hare or give a Fox a scare ! to them as it was in my youth it's as good a shooting a Elephant ! Should be more of it I say !There's plenty of time for Big Game but let em start with the simple things in life.

Dave