Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Beginner Reloader
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

i love the .300wsm.mine shoots better than i can.its recoil is less than other .300mags.ive heard people say that it doesnt have a big advange over the -06 but i shoot barnes xlc 150s in front of 73.5 grains of imr4831 and it clocks in at 3386fps.ive only been reloading for about a year but i dont think you can get a 30-06 any where close to those numbers safely.ive never found any .300 class magnum really fun to shoot but i do practice alot with mine,but i do wear a past recoil sheild.but anyway i love my .300wsm its never let me down in a hunt i know that from the muzzle to as far as i should be shooting at game that it will do its part as long as i do mine

Beginner Reloader
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I think that they are here to stay, but as time goes on a smaller portion of the shooters will stick with them. I guess they will become like some of the oldies, 30-40 Krag, 8mm, things like that, the shorts will never have a following like the 06.

Beginner Reloader
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I have the 270 wsm and the 300 wsm both in Savage's.
    I have been reloading for 48 years and the 270 wsm is the first rifle I have ever reloaded for that I can not find a load that isn't very accurate and I am talking sub moa. The 270 wsm is with a 26" heavy barrel recoil is not any more than the 30-06. But I can't say that about the 300 wsm with a light 24" sporter barrel the recoil on it is gruesome it will get a muzzle brake on it for sure but it is also very accurate.
    If the 300 wsm was not accurate the swat teams would not be using it now.
    As far as the short mags go I think the ones that will fade away are the 7 wsm and all of the Remington's rum's.
    As for the wssm's I think all of them will also fade away because of the feeding problem and burning out the throats very quickly as has already been noticed.
    As for the old calibers passing the test of time you can't beat the 6.5x55--7x57
    or the 30-06. I have one of each of them too.
    Last edited by OKIE; 06-18-2007 at 10:37 AM.

Beginner Reloader
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

For all of you that think Ruger's are not accurate I have 6 of them in
    220 swift--243 win--25-06--308 WIN--270 WSM and 300 win mag.
    All of them are as out of the box condition nothing has been done to them except put scopes on them.
    my 243 mk11 did put 10 shots in .5 group as my 308 did the same.

http://photos.gunloads.com/images/OKIE/308win.jpg
    http://photos.gunloads.com/images/OKIE/270wsm.jpg
    http://photos.gunloads.com/images/OKIE/ruger243.jpg
    Last edited by OKIE; 06-18-2007 at 12:11 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Welcome, OKIE. It's good to hear from someone who has shot a bunch of them. I'm still not in the market for one, though.
    If I can see it, I can hit it. Now, where did I put my glasses?

Beginner Reloader
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Wink

Have any of you ever picked up a rifle and thought Wow!! the balance is there it feels great and you know you could carry it any where? I was always an 06 and 270 man and Gent's dont sell the WSM's or WSSM's short they are a Pleasure to carry and do a great job on taking game. I have a few of the classicics but I also have a 243 wssm and a 270 wsm they are great for me. The 270 Factory everything shoots dime sized groups at 100 yds. the 243 shoots quarter sized groups at 100 yds. (still working on this one) I had a feeding problem with mine (due to my tinkering mostly) replaced the Magazine box and spring and feed's just fine. I have only taken a coyote with the 270 wsm and 8 deer with the 243 wssm. the reason for that is I always grab the little 243, it is my go to Gun. it works for me ,maybe not for everyone. I like carrying a 6 1/2 rifle with a scope all day, I have plenty of others but it is the $hit for me.

Beginner Reloader
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by Deathwind View Post
    So we have 7 mm,300 etc; in wsm but no 30-06 wsm (guess their scared to mess with the old girl eh.)
    You cant fix perfect

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I think Winchester had to bring in a new bullet to keep up with the other companys, and calibers. These cartridges could work very well, but I think we should stay with what works. e.g.( 30-06, 7mm RM, 30-30, 257 roberts,...........) But that is just my opinion on the subject. Like Bill Church said " You can't fix perfect"

Beginner Reloader
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Thumbs down Wsm's Their Future.

Hi Old Bushman.
    Even though they are popular,the concept of a short round with performance sounds good,however something has to give,as it is a known fact that Magnums, Belted cased Magnums & performance wildcat cartridges are hard on barrels,especially if you really stoke them up,the main problem is burning the throat/lands away away.
    They took off over here with the Sambar Hunters & some Fly Shooters,,but now we are seeing quite a few second hand ones for sale,I also was leaning towards a 300 WSM & after reading an article on barrel wear,by one of our Guru's I have backpedalled,& now will go for a 3006,which is still today the most used rifle,worlwide.
    The average guy who just used it for Sambar Deer,& only fired an occassional shot,would probably never wear one out,however if like me,as I would use it a fair ammount on pigs & also Sambar could.
    I think they still,will be around for quite a while yet,as on paper they look good.

Beginner Reloader
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Thumbs up Wsm's Their Future./Ruger Rifles

Also Hi OKie.
    I didn't mentioned they can be tuned to shoot excellent,as people I've spoken too have said.
    Next,I agree there is nothing wrong with Ruger Rifles,as there are probably thousands in use over here & in New Zealand.
    I have a Varmint Model 1 in a 220 Swift,& it will shoot 1/2 easy.

Beginner Reloader airborne556762's Avatar
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Thumbs up WSM and WSSM future

This thread was started back on 05-30-2006. As of this time the WSMs and WSSMs are still going strong 3 + years now. Enuff said on that issue!

Since 2003, I have owned a Browning ABOLT II rifle in 300 WSM (topped with a Leupold VX-III scope) and have taken everything from Alaskan moose, whitetails, mule deer, pronghorns, and coyotes in several different states with it. Accuracy is excellent with less than 0.5 moa at 100 yards with premium factory ammo and I have just started to reload for it this year. Phenomenal long range rifle and caliber.

I got a bunch of dead critter mounts on my wall in my living room that will prove those folks on this forum wrong about their opinion on how unaccurate, unefficient, and unmarketable the WSM and WSSM cartridges supposedly are. I totally disagree with those folks on these issues.

The WSM/ WSSM`s were not designed to replace your milsurps or standard caliber cartridges. They were designed to give the American shooter/hunters a different choice for cartridges. I chose a 300 WSM in my Browning Abolt II rifle because I can have great accuracy in a 23 inch barreled 6.3 pound mountain rifle (not including the scope of course). Who would want anything else?

Everyone has an opinion.........about calibers and rifles thats for sure but you can sure tell who has never owned a WSM rifle. My thoughts are if you have never owned one or hunted/shot one then you have just that............an opinion!
    Last edited by airborne556762; 09-02-2009 at 11:00 AM.
    Charlie Co. 4th Bn 325 Airborne Infantry Regiment (AIR)
    Combat Operations - Just Cause, Desert Shield/Storm
    82nd Airborne Division, Ft Bragg, North Carolina
    Special Operations Command (SOCOM)
    "Airborne Rangers lead the way!"

USCCA, NRA, NWTF, RMEF, and DU member
    "Hunt hard, shoot straight, kill humanely, never apologize!"

Advanced Reloader
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Default .270 wsm

I have a Weatherby SUB-MOA in .270 WSM that I can shoot all day long. The only thing that slows me down is the cost of ammo. If I were a Man with a thick wallet I would have seen how many rounds it would take to burn the throat out of it.
    The recoil for me is nothing, and I am a panzy ass nanny boy when it comes to felt recoil. I am a flinching fool.
    I can shoot that gun.
    The .30'06 I had before that I could not hit the broad side of a barn with. Plastic stock cheapo weatherby/HOWA vangaurd P.O.S..
    But then, rifle calibers are so subjective. The amount of different calibers is proof of that.
    I think the WSM calibers are the best thing to ever happen to firearms.
    As far as the WSSM calibers go I do not think they will last. Maybe a .30 WSSM but then doesnt that defeat the purpose? I purchased brand new a .25 WSSM bull barreled AR from OLYARMS. At the same time a purchased ammo that was to heavy a grain bullet (120 grain) and would not fit in the magazine because it was to long. OLYARMS never said anything about C.O.L. to me. I will never buy another gun from them.
    Everything I have read, including my reloading book, ( Hornady.) says that the .243 WSSM is a barrel burner and shows signs of extreme pressure with little or no warning is enough for me to look elsewhere.
    But then, you could fit what I know about guns in a thimble.
    Last edited by rokdog13; 10-15-2009 at 11:35 PM.

Advanced Reloader
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Default .30-'06 wsm?

Mister Church. wouldnt a .30-'06 in WSM be a .300 WSM?
    The '06 is the year it was produced.

Beginner Reloader
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Default 7mm wsm

I have a Savage SS Left hand bolt, ACCU-Trigger in 7MM WSM. It is scarey accurate right out of the box. I handload for this rifle using REM.140gr SP and Varget powder. I have no trouble putting a neck shot on a deer at 100.

Beginner Reloader
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I shot a friends Savage & fell in lust with it immediately. I ragged on him for 2 or 3 years until he finally sold it to me. It's a 110 with a floated bull barrel in a target stock with an extendable Harris bipod on the front. The Bushnell that was on it died so, being in a money crunch I bought a BSA 8x32x40mm OA & put on it. The scopes not that clear, but I can still hit anything I want with it. Here in southern Missouri & out where I hunt, if you get a shot longer than 100 yards, it's considered a long shot. I handload 55gr V-Max in it (22-250) and it drives nails. Come to think of it, my first deer ever, was with that rifle at about 200 yards (down here that's a long shot!). Down here you can deer hunt with any centerfire. While I'd agree the 22-250 is on the small side for deer, it's never let me down. Shot placement is critical, but being an old "squirrel shooter" it's also never been a problem! My nephew shot mine, feel in love with it & bought a Ruger M77 in 22-250. He bagged the biggest buck of his life with it the next season and has taken a great many deer with it (too many to remember). Last summer we took it to the range & was shooting daisy bb-gun clay target disks (about 2" diameter) off the wire at 100 yards. No misses, in fact it was so easy we started shooting the clothes pins that were holding them instead. I just purchased another Savage too. It's their "Weather Warrior", I forget the model number. It's got the black accustock, accutrigger, adjustable muzzle brake on a stainless barrel in the 270 WSM. I haven't got to bench it yet as it is butt-cold here & I still don't even have my scope for it, but I have no doubt it will also be a nail driver.

Beginner Reloader
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

First off, I am not interested in buying one -- never really cared about things that had to wear the "magnum" label. There are a lot of reasons in my mind not to buy one. The main reason is that I do not need one. Standard cartridges do very well for me.
    But, I have been asked that same question by people that I know. My advice is this:
    With, with all of the short magnums that came out about the same time, some are bound not to survive. Which ones will be obsolete in 5-10 years is anybody's guess. However, to get an idea, just look to see who chambers which ones. I think that it will become quite clear from looking at the large volume manufacturer's offerings to see which ones sell. I think that the Winchester numbers are more likely to survive than the Remington ones. Just from what I have seen.

Beginner Reloader
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I'm tired so I haven't read all the posts but the first page mostly is HOT AIR ! the WSM's are here to stay and deserve to be with US ... Incidentally, a "30.06 WSM" ???? REALLY ??? I am hoping that was a bad joke !! the "325 WSM is just a modified 8 x 57" ??? ha ha ha ha ha ha ha !! and "recoil" ?? anyone who can't tell that the recoil of a 325 WSM is easily 75% of a 338 win mag and in a 6.5 lb rifle must be just plain recoil SHY ! OH, and let's see ... "they just don't feed worth a hoot" ?? one should know of what they speak BEFORE talkin' bad about it ! I have WSM's in Tikka T3's, Kimber Montana's, Browning ABolt and have read ARTICLE AFTER ARTICLE about the stellar performance the WSM Savages give, HS Precision makes their PHL in WSM's as well as Hill Country Rifles - WAIT !! THERE'S MORE !! the 270 WSM sends every weight bullet out the muzzle just behind the 270 "bee" and with alot less BANG FOR YOUR BUCK ! the 7mm WSM has it's hands full with the 7mm Rem Mag (but then, so does the 7mm "bee") the 300 WSM ain't no 300 weatherby but it ain't no '06 neither and hardly kicks any worse - the WSM line fills a niche that was empty before and does it with efficiency, less recoil, better inherent accuracy and some needed "style" - IMO you "old school" boys can go hard or go home .... (and for the record, I LOVE my .308's and would not give them up for ANYTHING !!)

Beginner Reloader
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I am new on this post. Been in the gun business for years & years. Most of the WSM are gone already, not selling well. The only ones that still sale are the 300 WSM or the 270 WSM. Also almost all of the WSSM are also gone or not selling. Gun manufactures always have to come up with something new to make money, that's business. I also do not like people hunting (shooting) at long ranges. I have been a guide for over 45 years, ever animal I ever took was under 100 yards except one Mulie Buck in Colorado. Its called hunting not shooting. No one should ever shoot at a animal over 350 yards, period.