Avid Reloader
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Red face troublle with my 270

i have a old winchester mod 70 pre 64 in 270 that i had to retire not because of ware or milfuction no it got lazy on mehere is the story it was snowing bad the temp was about 20 and i was down with the flu i wanted some deer so i sent the 270 out by it self you know what happen it shot the firstdeer it saw lucky i had a doe tag ok i though it made a mistake but no ever time i sent it alone the old 270 would shoot the firest it saw so you can see i had no choice so it stays in the gunsafe
    [B]nowi belive if winchester thought of a better cal than the 270 he took it with him when he died

testhop

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

270 is tried tested and true no doubt about it.
    Ken.
    Ken.

Love to Live, Live to Shoot.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Cool

I bought mine, a 1980's or so vintage, from a friend who was down on his luck and needed money. Neither of us realized it had a crack in the stock right behind the recoil lug.

Luckily I had taken it apart for a thorough cleaning just after taking possession and discovered the flaw. I had my friendly, local gunsmith repair the stock with metal bedding compound so all is good now.

The only reason I'm not shooting it right now is that I need rings and a scope!
    Regards,

WE

Avid Reloader
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by C1PNR View Post
    I bought mine, a 1980's or so vintage, from a friend who was down on his luck and needed money. Neither of us realized it had a crack in the stock right behind the recoil lug.

Luckily I had taken it apart for a thorough cleaning just after taking possession and discovered the flaw. I had my friendly, local gunsmith repair the stock with metal bedding compound so all is good now.

The only reason I'm not shooting it right now is that I need rings and a scope!
    dont get junk for a 270 mine wears a leupold 3.5 to 10 vari x iii in wever low rings witch is the best bases and rings and the old girl will shoot much better than i can (it is hell to get old)

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by testhop View Post
    dont get junk for a 270 mine wears a leupold 3.5 to 10 vari x iii in wever low rings witch is the best bases and rings and the old girl will shoot much better than i can (it is hell to get old)
    I've got one of them do-dads on my M70 in '06 that I've been thinking should go onto the .270. I just may do that. Then maybe get a 2.5 - 8 or a 1.75 - 6 for the '06.

I've got a 300 Win Mag and a 7 Rem Mag for "long shooters," and I'd like to use the '06 more for deer, etc., in tight country.
    Regards,

WE