Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Smile Savage? Stevens?

OK. I know that Savage has the best out of the box accuracy. Now, what about Stevens? I understand that it's a Savage without all the whistles and bells. I bought a Stevens model 200 in 300 Win Mag last year and dropped a buffalo in one shot at about 125 yards. At a hundred yards I can get 2 shots in the area of a quarter but the third shot is a flyer. It seems the barrel is too hot then, it's a very light barrel so that's the problem there. I figure is you don't get the animal in one or two shots, it's run away anyway.
    Anyway.
    Am I right in my thinking that a Stevens is just about as good as a Savage for accuracy?
    Any thoughts?
    Any opinions?
    Any stats?
    Any thing?
    Except for getting kicked by a mule every time I shoot this thing, I think I'm doing pretty good shooting.
    Dean

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Default Stevens 200

Responding quite late after your posting. It's the cheaper version of the Savage. No Accu-trigger but that's about it. I built my 6mm Norma BR on a Stevens Short Centerfeed action. I'm using a Sharp Shooter Supply single shot follower specifically made for the centerfeed, it snaps into the underside of the action. I love it, my rounds slide into the chamber like they were greased. I've built four Savage action rifles in 260 Rem, 7mm/08, 308 and of course the 6mm BR. The 7mm/08 is built on a long action so I can take advantage of the ability to seat my bullets closer to the lands and still use the magazine (30-06 length). My best 7mm/08 load to date, out of a factory 22" sporter barrel is 42.5 grains of Varget pushing a Nosler 120 grain BT to 2957 fps. I'm seating the Noslers .012" off the lands. Brass is prepped RP and CCI BR-2 primers Five shot groups are running around .632" at 100 yards. For safety sake in your action, drop back 5 or 10 percent to start.

I love being able to barrel and headspace my own actions. The money saved buys more powder and bullets.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

The stevens is an extremely accurate rifle, my only problem is there is no floorplate. But that is just my two cents.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I just traded for a new Stevens in 22-250 and find it equal to the Savage except for the tupperware stock, which is flimsy. I plan to remedy this by embedding a piece of aluminum bar in the bottom of the forearm. The thin barrel heats up quickly. I have a stock for a heavy barrel Savage, but the Stevens stock bolts are too short and the trigger guard is slightly too large to fit the inlet in the Savage stock.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Deano, I have a 223 that is a shooter, Stevens 200. The trigger is terrible and it takes a lot of concentration but an aftermarket is available.
    Front sight and squeeze

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

The trigger on the Stevens is easily adjustable. I bent the wire type spring slightly to get the pull light enough.