RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cast bullets for self defense?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    actually, i think the stat for non-police justifiable shootings is the revers. 80-90% hits. Citizens are generally engaging at shorter distances for one thing.

and there is the whole professional/enthusiast thing: Who would you rather have sex with? A professional or an enthusiast?

lol lol lol
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Buddy
    A professioanl enthusiast

Boolit Buddy
    I don't know if it's been said yet but it's a nice idea but you should try to have your defensive ammo store bought. I've taken many Conceal carry courses in many states and they all say you need to have factory loaded ammo. The reason? Lawyers, of course!! They'll sue you and say that factory ammo wasn't good enough. You had to load up a special load that would maim and injure their clients. They'll make you out to be the bad guy. It really doesn't matter if you agree with it or not it's a reality that if you go against it you will be either paying huge attorney fee's to defend yourself or lose a ton when you have to pay the scum that you used it on or worse case both! Just my input.

Boolit Master
    see bret you are right the myth keeps going and gaining ground.

at one time long ago. i loaded for some city police departments. what i used was 358429 loaded to about 1000 fps.in .38 spl. cases. that load would punch through a car door would most of the time go though a windsheld unless the angle was extream.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blasternank View Post
    I don't know if it's been said yet but it's a nice idea but you should try to have your defensive ammo store bought. I've taken many Conceal carry courses in many states and they all say you need to have factory loaded ammo. The reason? Lawyers, of course!! They'll sue you and say that factory ammo wasn't good enough. You had to load up a special load that would maim and injure their clients. They'll make you out to be the bad guy. It really doesn't matter if you agree with it or not it's a reality that if you go against it you will be either paying huge attorney fee's to defend yourself or lose a ton when you have to pay the scum that you used it on or worse case both! Just my input.

Boolit Grand Master

Nobody has ever identified an actual case where the "special, super dangerous ammo" was
    actually raised. I suspect it is total BS.

Everyone has to do what they want. I usually use factory ammo in carry guns, but have a
    couple that just do NOT like any factory ammo that I have tried (bunches of very expensive
    testing at $1 a pop or more for some ammo) so I use handloads. Not worried.

For example:

Penetration in gelatin is twice what it is in wet newsprint in my experience. So we are talking
    about 4.75 to the front of the boolit x 2 = 9.5" deep. Works for me.

Your opinion and mileage may vary.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Someone beat this with a stick, PLEASE! Then bury it deep.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master
    Nothin' quite like beatin' a dead horse.

Boolit Master

Nobody has ever identified an actual case where the "special, super dangerous ammo" was actually raised. I suspect it is total BS.
    That would be the Harold Fish case in AZ.

Boolit Grand Master
    That case mentions the use of hollow points, not reloads.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    That case mentions the use of hollow points, not reloads.
    If I remember right, it was his choice of caliber (10mm) that they used to paint him as a bloodthirsty monster. And the jury was actually swayed by that. Nevermind that he was armed for bears and mountain lions, and just used the gun he had available. (pisses me off all over again)

Not much you can do about that; a dishonest prosecutor will twist anything you did or didn't do to make it look bad.

The *only* point about reloads in a shooting is that the powder residue and burn marks testing will not be allowed if it helps your case.

blasternak...Pretty please go back and read the ENTIRE thread.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

You can take that ammo argument the lawyers would use about special ammo and tell them it is target ammunition it is not even defense ammo. It is lead and not jacketed because lead bullets that I make or buy are cheaper than defense ammo bullets. That said I still say this lawyer stuff is BS. I am almost 60 and I never heard of a case where the ammo was suspect in a shooting. Might be different some where else but not in WI that I know of. About concealed carry classes ever consider that those that teach these classes may some way be involved in working in the industry? I know several guys that teach gun classes and they all work in gun shops. It is to their benefit to promote factory ammo.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Master
    I think this alloy 98/2 would be good for even 45acp/9mm also. You don't need to worry about leading for bad guy ammo and the good soft lead should expan better under 1000fps.

Quote Originally Posted by shooting on a shoestring View Post
    Cast Boolits for defense? Of course!

My rationale is two fold. First I shoot what I carry, and shoot it often. I very much prefer to practice with the same ammo that I carry. That amount of shooting calls for cast boolits. Secondly, I use soft wadcutters in two forms. For .38 spl, cast in 98% Pb/2%Sn, kept within standard .38 pressures (b/c they do get shot alot). For .357, the same boolit gets hollow pointed, pushed to the top end. My Security Six is so loaded and gets 150 grain HP'd soft boolits over 1400 fps. Impressively shreds milk jugs.

Boolit Grand Master
    2 more cents. I carry factory stuff most of the time, not because I'm scared of lawyers, but because I have had my cast boolit reloads fail. On a number of occasions in my PPC days, I had bloopers on hot days where I suspect my lube may have melted and contaminated my powder. I would druther have a bang than a pop if things required. I have carried handloads and no doubt wiil again, but that isn't my first choice.

Boolit Master
    LBT Blue hard lube should cure the lube and powfer mixing proglem

Boolit Grand Master

I carry both factory and handloads (cast and jacketed) because it simply depends on what I'm doing at the time as to what handgun I carry. If I'm hunting and I use my "carry" handgun for self defense the very same laws, rules and opinions of prosecutors will apply.

BTW; over the years I've seen far more failures of factory ammo than with my own reloads. I also probably shoot many, many more of my reloads than factory ammo so figure the odds?

Larry Gibson

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Actually, I think the stat for non-police justifiable shootings is the revers. 80-90% hits. Citizens are generally engaging at shorter distances for one thing.
    Show me your stats, I'll try and find the ones I saw that said the hit ratio was about the same.

And, just for giggles, consider cops are usually fired on first. It's hard to get off aim shots while hunting cover and wondering what that warm wet feeling in your pants is....

Boolit Master

It's hard to get off aim shots while hunting cover and wondering what that warm wet feeling in your pants is....
    That puts it into perspective quite well!
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Grand Master
    I am willing to bet I would be a piss poor shot if I was under fire. Not ashamed to say that at all.

I hope to heck I never have to find put for sure.