Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan Reloading

Thread: Blind Hog & an Acorn

Boolit Grand Master

Blind Hog & an Acorn

There is an old yankee saying that "even a blind hog occaisionaly finds an acorn". Happened to me last week. I have been fighting with the 360 degrees shooting bench that I bought from Cabella's for the last 4 years. It was poorly engineered, clumsy, awkward & slow to set up, seat adjustment was a pain, and the seat uncomfortable, and in no way compact, and I paid over 150.00 for the thing.
    I have always admired the bench that my hunting partner Lee, had as it was compact, easy to set up, the seat was stable and comfortable, etc. He paid well over 200.00 for it at Cabellas and they no longer carried the brand. Soooo---!
    I googled the mfg of his bench and got a quote of $130.00 something plus a ship price of 35.00, and tried to order one. For some reason, and after cussing the computer for not being able to order on line, on a whim, I looked up shooting benches on e-bay. There was one that looked just like Lee's, for "buy it now price" $129.00", and free shipping, so I took a chance and bought it. It came from Mo. and was on my front porch the next day via UPS, (which sometimes amazes me). "Mfg in China", and I figured I had been suckered again by e-bay. But I was wrong. The engineering is almost identical to Lee's bench, with a couple of minor engineering updates. The welding is solid, the top is grid covered by fabric which makes it a bit lighter in weight than Lees, and the seat is positive and comfortable. We shot p-dogs last Fri, and our set up and take down times were identical. Unloading and loading the benches time from and back into the bed of the old Dakota was far easier with the new bench.

I usually am part of the bad mouthing crowd regarding Chineese made ****, but this was one time I have to eat crow, and admit that I was a blind hog that did find an acorn.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Buddy

"But I was wrong. The engineering is almost identical to Lee's bench, with a couple of minor engineering updates."

They copy everything. Even our latest military hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by timbuck View Post
    "But I was wrong. The engineering is almost identical to Lee's bench, with a couple of minor engineering updates."

They copy everything. Even our latest military hardware.
    And Wang Poo is probably copying stuff from this board as we post it!
    Mark
    Any way you sell it,
    No matter how you spell it,
    When you start to smell it,
    BO Stinks!

Boolit Master
    Talk about copying, even our ACOG's!!!!!
    And what a POOR job they did at that.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Bub
    The only question I have is when do I get to try it out? Steve

The Chinese build to a price. Consumers want everthing for nothing or close to it. Thing is you can't have quality and cheap in the same product. Welcome to the world of 'free trade'. Don't get me started......
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.