Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is trimming .45 ACP brass really necessary?

Is trimming .45 ACP brass really necessary?

I've started reloading .45 ACP brass for my S&W 1911 and have come across conflicting information about case length. I had been trimming my cases to be between .892 to .898 in. Now I am wondering if it is really necessary. I checked the lengths on some bulk reloads I bought that I have been shooting with no jams or problems and they all measured between .800 up to .985. I've been seating all the bullets so the end result conforms to the correct finished dimensions and run them through the Lee factory crimp die.

Any thoughts?
    - detroitcharlie

~ Freedom isn't free, it's fought for. ~

Boolit Buddy

I never trim 45acp. If I were using them for self defense I would only check for over length and probably discard. Brass that is short in a 1911 is dangerous because headspace is determined by length and a high powered short case may cause head separation..not something pleasant. If those dimensions are correct on the bulk reloads I would stay away from them.

Quote Originally Posted by matrixcs View Post
    I never trim 45acp. If I were using them for self defense I would only check for over length and probably discard. Brass that is short in a 1911 is dangerous because headspace is determined by length and a high powered short case may cause head separation..not something pleasant. If those dimensions are correct on the bulk reloads I would stay away from them.
    I figured... good advice, thanks.
    - detroitcharlie

Boolit Master

I have never trimmed 45 nor 9mm brass.

I hope not, I haven't trimmed one in many hundreds of thousands of rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    I hope not, I haven't trimmed one in many hundreds of thousands of rounds.
    This is reassuring, I've been reloading .45 ACP for a year now and this verifies that the 'know-it-all' at the range is a verifiable nitwit, or maybe extremely OCD.
    - detroitcharlie

Boolit Buddy

I trim 45 ACP brass but only because I use it in a revolver. My standard bullet is 452423 which uses a roll crimp.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I only trim rifle brass. Waste of time for pistols.

banger

For the most part I only trim "bottle neck" cases, be it rifle or pistol.

Boolit Master
    I don't trim for my 45

I never trim pistol brass, only rifle. Never had a problem.

Boolit Master
    Something you'll notice if you measure 45acp brass. As it gets used (a LOT) it actually shrinks. No, trimming in not needed.

Le Loup Solitaire
    According to Dean Grennell in some of his writings, 45ACP cases tend to grow shorter with firings and tend to be a problem if it goes far enough. He did a lengthy investigation on the subject in one of his handloader books and made a jig for shortening 308 cases to a uniform length. His uniform cases did a much better job in terms of accuracy. LLS

Boolit Master
    Well...you can. The first 3K pieces of .45apc range brass I bought I cleaned and resized and trimmed every single piece. (Lee case trimmer) Some of the cases never touched the trimmer blade. But a lot of them did. The trimmer squared up the case mouths but overall length wasn't really off by much. I then knocked off any sharp edges at the case mouth. I felt better having done it and eliminated at least one item that (probably won't) cause a problem. I did the same thing with 3K of .40 S&W. I tried to do it with 3K of 9mm. but after 100 pieces of brass failed to find a single case long enough to trim! Go figger? In theory the self-loading rounds are supposed to headspace on the chamber end/mouth. In reality...most aren't long enough to even come near the end of the chamber. Just for giggles measure from the end of the chamber to the hood (assuming a 1911) and see how long it is. Now mind ye, you might actually have a short chamber. Then it will matter. I don't trim any more. Audie..

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by detroitcharlie View Post
    I've started reloading .45 ACP brass for my S&W 1911 and have come across conflicting information about case length. I had been trimming my cases to be between .892 to .898 in. Now I am wondering if it is really necessary. I checked the lengths on some bulk reloads I bought that I have been shooting with no jams or problems and they all measured between .800 up to .985. I've been seating all the bullets so the end result conforms to the correct finished dimensions and run them through the Lee factory crimp die.

Any thoughts?
    I don't trim 45 ACP. Your trim length is good but your other numbers don't add up.

min and max trim length for 45ACP.

Hornady 7th lists
    max .898
    case trim length .893

Lyman 49th lists
    max .898
    case trim length .888

Boolit Grand Master
    I can't remember ever trimming brass for a handgun. For a rifle yes, but it still is one of my least fun things to do pertaining to handloading ammunition.

The only way I can forsee me ever trimming .45ACP brass would be if I had a for real bullseye gun and was serious about bullseye shooting. Then I can see it making a difference; but not with a rack grade gun shooting at targets that are generally larger than a coffee can. This isn't likely to happen, my eye sight is already going bad enough that I can't clearly see iron sights anymore.

Getting old is not for sissies. I can live with the constant back, hip and knee pain; it just makes me wish I was a little more careful lifting things when I was younger. The thing I really miss is clear eyesight.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by L1A1Rocker View Post
    Something you'll notice if you measure 45acp brass. As it gets used (a LOT) it actually shrinks. No, trimming in not needed.
    Yeah, I've actually noticed this, once it slips below .825 I throw it in my recycle bucket, just to be on the safe side.
    - detroitcharlie

Quote Originally Posted by oldfart1956 View Post
    Well...you can. The first 3K pieces of .45apc range brass I bought I cleaned and resized and trimmed every single piece. (Lee case trimmer) Some of the cases never touched the trimmer blade. But a lot of them did. The trimmer squared up the case mouths but overall length wasn't really off by much. I then knocked off any sharp edges at the case mouth. I felt better having done it and eliminated at least one item that (probably won't) cause a problem. I did the same thing with 3K of .40 S&W. I tried to do it with 3K of 9mm. but after 100 pieces of brass failed to find a single case long enough to trim! Go figger? In theory the self-loading rounds are supposed to headspace on the chamber end/mouth. In reality...most aren't long enough to even come near the end of the chamber. Just for giggles measure from the end of the chamber to the hood (assuming a 1911) and see how long it is. Now mind ye, you might actually have a short chamber. Then it will matter. I don't trim any more. Audie..
    Good thoughts- thanks.
    - detroitcharlie

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    I don't trim 45 ACP. Your trim length is good but your other numbers don't add up.

min and max trim length for 45ACP.

Hornady 7th lists
    max .898
    case trim length .893

Lyman 49th lists
    max .898
    case trim length .888
    Thanks M-Tecs, noting those numbers for future reference.
    - detroitcharlie

45 ACP brass get shorter as you work them, no need to trim them