Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Hey Versifier, which do you think would be better for an all around rifle, a Weatherby Vanguard or a a ruger Hawkeye?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

It depends on what kind of "all around" you mean. It's the chambering that makes for versatility the way I see it. Beyond that it would depend on which one fit me better when I shouldered it. My all around is a .308 Rem 788 that I have been shooting since I was in my 20's. It shoots little light bullets (110's and 125's), bigger heavy bullets(150's, 165's & 180's), and several weights of cast bullets (117-180) very well. That's as close to all around as I can figure, and then I have a Contender with a bunch of different rifle and pistol barrels, that's pretty all around, too. I think that has both ends of all around covered, one versatile chambering, and one versatile platform.

I think a person is better off to pick one rifle as a primary hunting rifle and stick to it, shoot it regularly, and try it with different weights and styles of bullets to know what it will and won't do. It has to have a stock that fits the shooter, has to be appropriate for whatever game is actually going to be hunted (not what might, someday, in the future, if you hit the lottery), has to be accurate, and has to have a tolerable recoil level so it's fun to shoot and will get shot regularly.
    If I can see it, I can hit it. Now, where did I put my glasses?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Yah you are right about that but I do not favor the 308 because every shot i've seen has been shots that just wound the animal. The type of hunting I will be doing is open country so a flat shooting cartridge like the 270wsm or the 7mmRM would be best for me. And both have comparable felt recoil. Do you have any experience with either?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I might also go with a 300wsm as a one and only rifle.(other than a few toys)

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

One friend hunts with the .270wsm, but he is the kind of hunter that would fill his tag every year with a rock if that was what was available. Spends months scouting and gets his deer the first day of bow or rifle season then hunts with his kids. For the most part around here 250yds is a very long shot, 80% of deer are taken within 35yds, brush and woods are thick and heavy. If a .308 won't do dear, bear, or moose around here, the problem is the hunter, not the rifle. If the country is open enough that you are seriously looking at 300-350yd shots, either will do you. 7mag isn't really popular around here, but I have shot them and know one person who likes to take one to NewFoundland for caribou. I much prefer the 7x57 or 7-08, but again, I do not nedd something that can reach way out there. Given a choice between the .270wsm and the .300wsm, my shoulder would go for the .270 every time. (Whenever someone gets a new .300, we find two or at most three cases on the ground at the range, then we know there's a new one available down to the pawn shop.) The recoil can be brutal, especially in a very light rifle. A regular .270 is effective on deer out to 300yds.

You know, it's one thing to have a rifle that's capable of really long range shooting, but it's quite another thing to get in enough parctice so the shooter is capable of it. The bench doesn't count. You have to put the paper plate out there and be able to hit it every time offhand. (And if you CAN'T, you've no business shooting at anything but paper beyond the range where you can.) That is not easy to do at 200, never mind 300 or 400yds. It takes a LOT of practice, and with a hard kicking rifle, you have the development of a possible flinch to worry about, too. Once you get competent at long range, you have to stay in practice, too, or you lose your edge pretty quick. That's a lot of shooting, powder, bullets, and primers. Estimating range to figure bullet drop is another difficulty, but a range finder can help save many misses. I write the drop figures of the load I'm using on my stock. No rifle can replace the ability to get yourself into the proper position and range before attempting a shot, not can the rifle decide on taking a marginal shot or waiting - that hasn't changed, even if modern cartridges will sometimes give you a little more practical range.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I guess the longest shot i would make is 350yds and last year i took a mature mulie dow at about 325yds with my 257 Roberts and i was comfortable with that. Another option for me would be a 280Rem I think it is a happy medium between them for recoil and power.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Hey versifier, what do you think about the new Ruger M77 Hawkeye with the new LC6 trigger? And would you reccomend one of the new Ruger M2's? Because they are a working rifle not just for the eyes.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I've only seen pictures of them. Not enough info to answer.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I think i might see if i can get my hands a new winchester sporter deluxe or a Ruger mark 2 or a Hawkeye. I hunt mostly open fields with shots being mostly inside 400yds. Which calibre do you suggest for this type of hunting on deer and elk sized game. And i would only be shooting at elk within 300yds on a good day.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Well, for a handloader, .30cal has the greatest choice of bullets, but I would want something easier on the shoulder with a magnum. Nothing wrong with 6.5, 7mm or .300Mags, various Weatherby's, or any of the wsm's either (.270, 7mm or .300). A lot of cartridges out there will do what you want. Find a rifle that fits you and is comfortable for you to shoot, that's most important. The chambering may be ideal, but if the stock doesn't fit you you will never be comfortable shooting it.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Have you ever handloaded weatherby cases? I heard that a lot of the cases shoulder collapses when you seat the bullet, because of the sharp angle. Because a 257 weatherby would be perfect other than that. I also like shooting the 30-06 and if i put a Burris ballistic plex scope it would be great.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Weatherby cases are no more difficult to load than any other belted magnum rifle case. You can collapse any case neck if you aren't careful to prepare the brass by chamfering it and seating slow and easy. Short case life with belted cases is an occasional issue, but usually with those of larger caliber than .257.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Thanks for the info. Would you reccomend the 257 weatherby mag for long range deer and antelope.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

The cartridge is more than capable.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Would you go with the vanguard or mark v for that caliber?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I would go with the one that fit me best, if they did.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

One thing about the vanguard is it fits me nice and it is a working mans rifle. If I bought the mark V I would be scared to actually use it.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I also just looked at a vanguard and I like the weight, because I'm used it carrying a 10 pound monster everywhere it felt like a feather. The action is smooth as butter, the only downfall I see would be cleaning out the barrle flutes.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Sorry about that mix up bolt flutes not barrel flutes.