Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Default Best all around scope?

I was wondering what the best scope power would be for shots ranging from 50-400 yds. and good light transmission would also help. Please answer.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

For several decades I had a 3-9 on my varmint rifle. It wasn't the best, but it was what I could afford, and I used it to take coyotes and smaller varmints like woodchucks out beyond 400yds. When I was your age, on a good day, I could hit golf balls with it at 400yds. (Not every shot, but at least 3 out of 4.) I'm not trying to blow my own horn, just pointing out that at 9X I had a clear enough sight picture at that range to hit something that small, so it ought to be a workable proposition for larger game without a problem. (Now that I can't get around or see as well, it has the 6-20 I used to dream about.)

Given the choice today for a large game rifle at extreme ranges you are contemplating, I think I would go for a 4-12 Leupold. It's a bit much for shooting close in, but I did not feel at any disadvantage using a fixed 4X Leupold on my .308. Around here, 100yds is a long shot (most deer in NH are killed at ranges between 35-50yds). You have a lot more elbow room where you live, so I would want a little extra magnification for better shot placement if I had the option. But, a good Leupold or Nikon 3-9 would be adequate for what you want to do, less expensive, and easier to find in stock.
    If I can see it, I can hit it. Now, where did I put my glasses?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Another thing I was thinking about was a fixed 6x or 4x. I'm on a budget too so i want a good scope but not one that will break the bank, my budget for a scope is about $350. And I want to put it on a 280 rem, and 400 yds is a long shot the only way I would ever do it and feel confident in my shot is if a had a steady rest and put a lot of time in at the range. More practical ranges for most of my shots would be about 300 yds, the only time it would be more is when I go antelope hunting. And just out of curiosity, how old do you think I am?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Even a big deer looks awful small in a 4X at 300yds. Leupold's 4X is around $270US and their 6X is around $300US, really good scopes for the money. There is a lot to be said for a good fixed power scope, but they often don't have the light gathering capability of scopes with larger objectives. A lower magnification will make things easier up close and harder at longer ranges, while a higher magnification will be at a disadvantage up close but a big plus way out there, so if you go fixed there is a tradeoff. The downside of variables is their size and weight, but they are much more versatile when the ranges vary a lot.
    I assume you're in your early 20's or thereabouts, it's hard to tell from the picture.
    If I can see it, I can hit it. Now, where did I put my glasses?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I guess a 4x scope would be for somthing like a 30-30 or a bush carbine like that, my dad has used a 6x scope ever since he got his 30-06 because thats all he could afford at the time, he seems to like it but i've shot the rifle and I don't really like the scope because when I want to make sure the bullet is going on the bullzeye even at 100 yds the sope just doesn't have the power I would like. I was just looking on wholesalesports website and they have a Leupold rifleman 3-9x40 on for $330, I think this is a good price for a leupold, or am I wrong and it's a piece of crap, have you ever used one? And by the way I'm 13