Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TC shooters

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Kodiak,
    I figured you'd have gotten an answer before now. As much as I love my Contender, nothing serious has ever gone wrong with it in the 23 years I've had it, so I have never done more than disassemble it for cleaning. Which is a nice way of saying I don't have a clue to your problem. My guesses would not be useful, I'd have to have a working and nonworking example side by side to measure and compare. I love my .30 Herrett barrel and it works perfectly, so I'm not much help.

First I would ask next door at CB in the Single Shot Guns section. If no luck there, then I would call the factory 603 330-5659 and talk to a smith (not a CS rep, explain nicely that you need to speak with a smith), and if that didn't work then I'd go to Mike Bellam's(sp?) site. Thinking about it, the lack of real problems with any of my T/C products in the last 40 years probably tends to skew my attitude towards them a bit in the positive direction, you think? When I worked on guns for my living, any problems with T/C's got sent or brought down to the factory for service and were dealt with quickly and usually without charge. (When you get it up and running, I can give you a list of various moulds not to bother trying for your .30 Herrett, and a good list of bullets you might have some luck with.)
    If I can see it, I can hit it. Now, where did I put my glasses?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Talking

At present, all Encore,
    218 Bee 15" (OTT)
    .243AI 15" (VVCG)
    .250 AIRLN 16"(rimmed longneck on .307 brass) (OTT)
    6.5-257Rob. AIR 17" (7x57R brass) (OTT)
    .300JNKR 18" (OTT) being built
    .22-243AI in the planning stage

.250AIRLN

6.5-257AIR

Dave
    Last edited by onesonek; 01-25-2008 at 08:48 AM.

Beginner Reloader
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Hey guys,
    New to the site, just ordered a Gary Reeder Encore with 45-70 and 378GNR barrels. Does anyone have experence with Reeder products or these cartridges.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Welcome to Gunloads airtoad.

I think you will likely find more than a few .45-70 shooters here. I don't know about the .378GNR, what case is it based on?

Beginner Reloader
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Hello everyone,
    I am also a newbie to these forums.I owa and shoot an Encore and contender pistols.

Encore in:
    7mm-08 15"
    45-70 15" W/4 magna ports

Contender in:

I do have a question.Does anyone have a good hand load for 45-70 15"?I really could use a couple good loads for 350gr hornady round nose I have winchester brass.Also maybe a couple using 300gr Barnes origonal Fn and SS.Any help would be awsome.Trying to get the best accuracy from my hunting loads as possible.Short of a Bellum Rethroat.That is next.I think I will mainly be using the 350gr.Using 45-70 mostly for Bear and Elk sized game.Acossionally deer.

Thank you very much for any and all help in advance.It will be nice to meet and chat with you all.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Welcome to you, too, T/Chunter.

Have you tried cast in any of them?

Beginner Reloader
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I have not yet tried cast.
    Pain is Weakness leaving the Body!Semper Fi!USMC!

Beginner Reloader
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Hello all

I shoot the following

Encore in
    357 max 19"
    7.62x39 16 1/2"

contender
    45/410 14"
    256 win 10"
    357max 10'

I have shot cast in the encore max and like it a lot. 180gr gc over 19gr of H110
    I'm currently working on a 150gr cast boolit for the 7.62x39 and a 60gr cast for the 256, but I think I will have to wait for warmer weather.

It's only 4 degf here today with the wind blowing 30mph. Range reports will be awhile
    There is no such thing as failure, some ideas just work better than others.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Welcome to Gunloads part_timer. How old is your Contender frame? Does it have the adjustable trigger or is it a newer G2?

What is the twist in the 7.62x39 barrel? Just curious. You might be able to get away with a longer cast 170 or 180FN in an Encore, and it might shoot them better if the twist allowed it to stabilize them. My .30-30 Contender Carbine barrel likes 150-170gr (I think the twist is 1/10), and I tried two 180FNs that it did almost as well with, but the recoil was much more noticable with them to be comfortable at a long bench session. The little extra weight of the Encore frame/barrel would help a lot I think. The load I settled on used a Group Buy 45 2.1 150 FNGC and 3031. It "pieplates" at 100yds offhand easily and will keep 5shots at or under 1.5 inches rested. I am waiting for a .30/.223 that I ordered last spring. I hope it comes soon.

I have a T/C Custom Shop 16" Contender Carbine barrel in .35rem, the rim makes the Max a little easier to reload under stress, but otherwise they have about the same performance with cast. Mine likes 180gr RanchDog TLFNGC. 4895, 3031, RE7 good results so far. With 4895 it benches just under an inch consistantly. My 10" .357mag also does well with it and heavy charges of BDOT.

Beginner Reloader
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Default tc

hello
    me too i shot a tc 10 bull barrel in 7 tcu i shoot only cast bullet
    a 7-145 sil rcbs and a lyman 139grs the 2 work fine
    regards
    ANDRE

Beginner Reloader
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

T/C Contenders are deadly accurate & aload of fun.
    I do 223,410/45,7-30 Waters,7-TCU,30Herrett

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Welcome Marshall.

Wow, this thread is sure bringing the new members out of the woodwork.

I just finished loading up 250 rounds with various cast bullets and powders for my .35Rem Carbine. Most of them were with it's favorite 180gr Ranch Dog FNTLGC bullets, but I am also trying some 214RNGC's and the 158 SWCGC's that my revolvers like so much just to see what they will do. I'm not expecting much with bullets that light, but I have often been surprised when the "wrong twist" gives a very accurate load. If by some chance it likes them, it will make a load versatile enough for small to deer sized game, but I'm not holding my breath, just exploring possibilities.

Come spring I will have my hands full testing .35Rem and .30-30 Carbine loads, and .30 Herrett and .357mag pistol loads. Then there are more jacketed and cast tests for my .308 bolt and my K31. And then I have a .30-30 bolt I picked up that needs ten different cast bullets tested to see what it likes. I should probably just bring a tent and camp out at the range. And I have to practice with the M1A and the Garand.....

Beginner Reloader
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Wink

Hello,
    35 is agood round. my herret likes 25gr. IMR 4198 & 150gr. sierra 's
    My 7-30 likes 34gr. IMR 4064 &130 single pistol bullets by sierra. have had
    sub MOA groups with 3031 &120's. 7 TCU I'm going to be shooting production IHMSA & Using H 322 with 139 horn & 175gr. Rem. bullets If I get in and like it I may

go with cast bullets I may need a little help .

Beginner Reloader
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Not sure if I did this right but I wanted to go back to the question about a good 45-70 load in a T/C. I found an old Lyman mould #457191 that casts a 310 gr RNFP and have been shooting it over 17.5 gr of Trail Boss Powder. Out of a 24 inch barrel I chronographed it at 1330 fps and its a real "pussycat load." Its far more accurate than I am even off the bench but it shoots pretty straight clear out to 200 yards. I use W/W brass, W/W primers.

Beginner Reloader
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Just started with the TC game lately, (14" .44mag, 10" & 14" 7mm TCU (just aquired), and 10" .22). Shot cast in the 44 last summer, and will be shooting cast in the TCU this summer... all at steel barnyard animals (Silhouette)

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Welcome to Gunloads Peter.

Let us know what cast bullets your 7mm's like best.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Default Barrels

Barrels up here for the Contenders are totally retarded so I am in the prcess of importing one out of the USA for about 1/2 the cost even with all the duties and taxes.
    Will probably import a couple of more if this goes smooth at all.

Ken.
    Ken.

Love to Live, Live to Shoot.